EPAT® Shockwave Therapy
This scientifically proven procedure represents a breakthrough in regenerative medicine treatment options for a broad range of musculoskeletal disorders/conditions utilizing a proprietary set of unique acoustic pressure waves that stimulate the metabolism, enhance blood circulation and accelerate the healing process non-operatively.
Physical Effects of Acoustic Pressure Waves
- Acoustic pressure waves offer a non-invasive treatment solution
to long term tendon insertion and soft tissue pathologies. Local
treatment in the affected area will support and reset the healing
Today there are several working hypothesis for the physical effects of acoustic pressure waves:
- Pain reduction: The patient experiences a reduction of pain, explained by the Gate Control Theory. Intensive pulses from the transmitter into the tissues create a strong nociceptor activation of the A-? fibers, which affect interneurons that inhibit the transmission of the pain signals.
- Increased metabolism: Acoustic pressure waves influence the tissues on a cellular level. The chemical environment of the cells is affected by free radicals promoting the release of pain and inflammatory inhibiting substances.
- Revascularization: Repeated acoustic pressure waves to the affected area create a revascularization effect, with the new blood flow in the area promoting tissue healing and regeneration.
- Reduced muscle tone: The “vicious circle”, as well as the strong pathological association between pain and muscle tone, will be broken and lead to restoring a normalized muscular tone.
How Non-Invasive EPAT® Procedures Work
Extracorporeal Pulse Activation Technology (EPAT®) is proprietary technology based on several unique sets of acoustic pressure waves that activate biologic and angiogenic responses including new vascularization and microcirculatory improvement, helping to restore the body’s normal healing processes and tissue regeneration.
Patient educational video
Clinical & Economic Benefit Overview
EPAT® Technology offers gentle, fast, and highly effective non-invasive treatment without the need for ultrasound guidance, anesthesia, medication or surgical intervention to achieve effective and sustaining results. There are no incisions, no risk of infection, no needles, and no down time. The beneficial effects of EPAT® are numerous and are often experienced after only 3 treatments with some patients reporting immediate relief. In fact, clinical research shows over 80% of patients treated have experienced a significant reduction in pain or are completely pain free. Clinical benefits include:
- Quicker Recovery - Since a non-invasive procedure requires no incisions, no scaring, your body typically heals much faster.
- No Downtime - No restrictions on normal use. Non-invasive procedures help get you back to your active life immediately.
- No scarring - No incisions means no scaring or fibrotic tissue build-up
- Less pain - Because these procedures are non-invasive, there is typically less pain involved.
EPAT® procedures are generally, considered “elective pay” however, provide significant clinical and cost benefits to patients, improve efficiencies, cash-flow and revenue to the bottom line. Economic Benefits include:
EPAT® results in significant care cost and productivity savings. Patients suffering with acute & chronic musculoskeletal disorders often experience a continuum of failed conservative (non-operative) treatment that often extends over several months and/or years of treatment resulting, in significant costs to the health plan, the patient’s employer (lost productivity) and personal costs to the patient to include; co-pay and deductible amounts.
Example of indications: Podiatric
General Acute & Chronic Musculoskeletal Pain Associated with the following conditions:
- Plantar Fasciitis with Heel Spur
- Plantar Fasciitis without Heel Spur
- Posterior heel pain
- Lower Leg & Ankle
- Shin Splint
- General Muscle Sprain, Calf Muscles
- Muscular Cramps/Spasm, Calf Muscles
- Myofascial Trigger Point Treatment